Happy Family

Happy Family

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hello Hello Hello!!!




So... my grandma is kind of a big deal. She raised 12 kids, was on the Letterman show like 12 times as well as Wayne Brady and Donny & Marie. AKA "Mad Baking Lady." She is best known for her grandiose "Hello Hello Hello!!!!" when walking into a room, her famous orange rolls, and scolding David L for not kneading the dough the right way (as well as throwing hard taffy at her grandchildren and showering them with $2 bills). I think she is on a previous post from the reunion this summer.
She is at a care facility now, as dementia is setting in. She just turned 90 years old this year, and her ticker is still going strong. Unfortunately, as dementia sets in, her mind is not so firm. We visited her last weekend. The kids had a grand time eating her treats, jumping on her bed, winding up her dancing ballerina and crawling on her chair. Try as we might, we were also dealing with a major D blow-out of the newborn variety (most intense), while I was attempting to repair some of grandma's over-sized gaudy clip-on earrings (a staple in any ensemble of hers). Well, the blow-out got cleaned up, but unfortunately, my trying to repair the earrings caused them to fall apart completely, so I discretely slipped the pieces into my pocket to fix later. I made her an extra pair. So in this pic, the orange ones are her originals, and her fav color pink are the ones I made from scratch. Definitely not a style I have ever made before, but considering... I think she will love them. Afterall, as grandma Bev always says, "Pink is the new red!" (Growing up, she only ever wore red. As you can tell from the pic, she truly lives this mantra.)

1 comment:

Melissa Eggertsen said...

Oh MAN! Good times!!! She'll LOVE the new earrings, nice work!